ASAK Friends! The Aligarh Alumni Association Washington, DC is pleased to announce a special function to celebrate the life and social and professional accomplishments of Professor Doctor Abdul Majid Siddiqi (January 01, 1933 – August 27, 2011) of Aligarh Muslim University, because hazaron saal nargis apni benoori pe roti hai // bari mushkil se hota hai chaman mein didawar paida.
Program Includes: Collection of funds to establish scholarship(s) and/or annual lecture in Dr Siddiqi’s name, release of a compilation of write ups about Dr Siddiqi, presentations, and dinner.
Action: If you wish, please do one or more of the following:
- Send your donation check in the name of “Aligarh Alumni Association – Majid” to the mailing address: Aligarh Alumni Association, 7129 Chilton Ct, Clarksville, MD 21029, USA (a donation of $2,500 will establish a lifetime scholarship; a donation of $13,000 will establish a lifetime annual lecture series; smaller donations in any amount – even as little as $50 – will be pooled to make a scholarship or lecture fund). Part of the donations may be used to defray the expenses of this program. Please send your check as early as possible before the function, so that establishment of the scholarship/lecture series may be announced at the function.
- Send your one-page write up about Dr. Majid Siddiqi to email@example.com latest by October 15, 2011 (see guidelines below) in Word or other editable format.
- Come and attend the program on October 29, 2011, if you can. Please do RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org by October 15 only if you plan to come to the function—include the number of persons attending.
Guests: Majid saheb’s son Dr. Shahid Jameel from Delhi will come to the program in addition to Majid saheb’s daughter Dr. Afshan Hashmi from Maryland.
About Professor Doctor Abdul Majid Siddiqi, PhD (January 01, 1933 – August 27, 2011): Professor Abdul Majid Siddiqi, who obtained a PhD in biochemistry from the University of California, San Francisco, California, was the builder of the biochemistry department at AMU. His students are spread all across India, USA, Europe, SA, UAE, etc. They are largely highly accomplished professionals. Details about him can be found at various websites including http://aligarhmovement.com/aligarians/Abdul_Majid_Siddiqi
From my own perspective, I wish to add that his research on HMG CoA reductase in the sixties led the path towards the development of the modern-day cholesterol-lowering statins that are saving many millions of lives. Not many people in the world, let alone AMU, have the distinction of doing biomedical research that led to this magnitude of impact that changed the practice of medicine and continues to save millions of lives to this day. Let’s pay tribute to Majid saheb for all his scientific contributions.
Guidelines for Your Write Up About Professor Majid Siddiqi (due date October 15, 2011): Your write up will be highly welcome and appreciated. Please send them in Word or similar (editable) format by the due date to email@example.com. They will be edited and formatted as necessary. The page limit is one normal page (equivalent to Time size 12 font, regular size paper 8.5” x 11’ with 1” margins all across). In your write up please include:
- Your reflections about Majid saheb and your interaction with him.
- Your full name, degrees, position(s), affiliation, e-mail address.
- “About the Author” description about yourself in approximately six lines.
Many thanks and best wishes,
Aftab A. Ansari, PhD
Trustee, Aligarh Alumni Association Washington, DC
Chairman, Scholarship Committee, Alumni Association Washington, DC
Aftab A. Ansari, PhD, Washington, DC
Shahid Jameel, PhD, New Delhi
Hashima Hasan, DPhil (Oxon), Washington, DC
Fazal Khan, PhD, Washington, DC
Shahid Siddiqi, PhD, Chicago, IL
ABOUT THE ALIGARH ALUMNI ASSOCIATION WASHINGTON, DC: The Aligarh Alumni Association, founded in 1975, is a non-political, non-profit, tax-exempt, charitable, educational, social, and cultural organization for the alumni and well-wishers of the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU). The Association takes interest in affairs of the University, runs a scholarship program to help selected meritorious, needy students, and organizes social, literary, and cultural programs. The aims and objectives of the Association are to: (i) help AMU and its student body through scholarship and other programs; (ii) develop and strengthen a sense of community by organizing social projects and events; and (iii) promote cultural awareness through cultural and literary activities. Membership in the Association is open to all who believe in the aims and objectives of the Association. Please become a member and support the Association by your active participation.